Saturday, September 28, 2013

Read This: Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella



Hi there! I’m sure you’ve heard of (or even read) countless fashion books that are essentially non-fiction. Or maybe you haven’t and you think that this vast generalisation is completely inaccurate. Whichever person you may be, if you have a sense of humour, you’ll (most likely) love this book.

Also, one more thing to add. This is my first book recommendation/review-type thing, so bear with me!
Confessions of a Shopaholic is a fun, witty novel written under the pseudonym Sophie Kinsella. The story follows Rebecca Bloomwood, a finance journalist on her many shopping expenditures that end up (ironically) leading her to debt. 


Here’s the synopsis from Sophie's website:

Meet Rebecca Bloomwood.

She’s a journalist. She spends her working life telling others how to manage their money.
She spends her leisure time … shopping.

Retail therapy is the answer to all her problems. She knows she should stop, but she can’t. She tries Cutting Back, she tries Making More Money. But neither seems to work. The stories she concocts become more and more fantastic as she tries to untangle her increasingly dire financial difficulties. Her only comfort is to buy herself something – just a little something…


Can Becky ever escape from this dream world, find true love, and regain the use of her Switch card?

I first heard of Shopaholic a few years ago when my parents suggested that I watch this “absolutely amazing and thoughtful movie” (their critical review of the movie), so I did. I was pretty young when I saw it, maybe ten or so, so I didn’t think of it as deeply as I would now. I just thought dearest Becky was hilarious.



After a few years, my best friend reintroduced me to Shopaholic, urging me (cough, cough, forcing me, but whatever, it was fabulous) to read the series. So I did. BEST DECISION I’VE EVER MADE (slight exaggeration). It might sound like a bit of a… ditsy book if you judge it by the title, but I assure you, it’s seriously going to brighten up your day. Seriously.

What do you think of Shopaholic? Are you going to give it a read? Let me know in a comment down below and share what you think!



Thanks for reading!
- J

No comments:

Post a Comment