Monday, January 20, 2014

6 Fashion Books to Read in 2014

6 Books to Read in 2014

Hi there! It's pretty clear, I'd say, that I really love fashion, but I just don't know enough about it, it seems. Sometimes, I almost feel like a fraud because my fashion knowledge is kind of lacking, so this year, I thought I'd change. My goal is to read one fashion-related book a month, sometimes, they'll be a bit more fashion-y than others, and write about it at the end of the month/beginning of the next month.


I've planned out the first six books I'm planning to read, but I'm leaving the other six for later because I'm sure there'll be other great books coming out this year. Keep reading for a little bit about each book!


1. Fashion 2.0: Blogging Your Way to the Front Row by Yuli Ziv


My best friend gave me this book for my birthday and I still haven't finished it yet. I'm almost done and I've learned so many useful things, so I thought I'd make January an easy one for myself because I'll have my first exam week soon.

In this first of its kind insider's guide, Yuli Ziv, Style Coalition's founder, reveals the secrets behind her own online success and that of her network, which represents more than 200 top fashion and beauty bloggers, in partnership with Hearst magazines. You will find practical business advice on how to: - Brand yourself as a top blogger and sought-after influencer - Build valuable relationships with PR companies and brands - Secure invitations to important industry events - Work with advertising networks - Develop new revenue streams - Land spokesperson deals and large scale sponsorships - Position yourself at the forefront of the fashion blogosphere Full of action driven exercises, helpful resources and inspirational chapters by top fashion bloggers What I Wore, College Fashion, Gala Darling, Second City Style and Corporette, the book is packed with all the advice and motivation you need to take your blogging career to the next level! (synopsis source)


2. Chloe: Attitudes by Sarah Mower


Chloe is one of those brands that I don't know nearly enough about and when Santa gave this to me this Christmas, everything just fell into place. I've started reading it already and it's probably one of the most inspirational works I've ever read. Too bad it's freaking expensive, but that's okay because that's what libraries are for. 


This handsome volume chronicles the rise of the fashion house Chloé, a crucible of creativity for some of fashion’s most notable designers. The fashion brand Chloé may be sixty years old, but she still exudes a youthful elegance and femininity. As the first high-end Paris fashion house to sell exclusively ready-to-wear clothing, Chloé has since redefined its look for the modern woman with flattering colors, quality materials, and a series of must-have It bags. Chloé started in 1952 when Gaby Aghion invented the revolutionary idea of luxury prêt-à-porter, taking the craftsmanship of haute couture and making it available to a wider audience. Chloé, in short, is the modern woman—refined and redefined. (synopsis source)


3. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger


I've heard countless things from just about everyone about the movie, so I figured that if the whole freaking fashion world loves the movie, the book couldn't possibly be that bad. It's about time I read this, haha.


THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA gives a rich and hilarious new meaning to complaints about "The Boss from Hell." Narrated in Andrea's smart, refreshingly disarming voice, it traces a deep, dark, devilish view of life at the top only hinted at in gossip columns and over Cosmopolitans at the trendiest cocktail parties. Andrea begins to realize that the job a million girls would die for may just kill her. And even if she survives, she has to decide whether or not the job is worth the price of her soul. (synopsis source)


4. Chanel: The Vocabulary of Style by Jerome Gauthier


Not to be ridiculously stereotypical, but Chanel is one of my favourite designers ever, so I really want to learn a lot more the evolution of Chanel. I've also heard lots of good things about it, so I have high hopes for this book.


Through these dazzling photographs, Chanel: The Vocabulary of Style identifies key elements that have defined Chanel's style for generations, such as jersey and tweed, formerly considered menswear fabrics, and the little black dress, which transformed a hue previously reserved for mourning into a statement of elegance. Pearls were her staple, and she often embellished outfits with her signature camellia. Eleven chapters compare the original forms of these enduring trademarks with their later expressions over the years and to the present day, letting the vocabulary of Chanel's style speak for itself. (synopsis source)

5. Vogue: The Editor's Eye by Conde Nast

This book is supposed to be all about the editor's job at a magazine, which is something that has fascinated me ever since I read the Teen Vogue Handbook. I absolutely adore reading magazines and have way too many stacked in my room, so it'll be really cool to read about what kind of work goes into my monthly reading.

Vogue: The Editor’s Eye celebrates the pivotal role the fashion editor has played in shaping America’s sense of style since the magazine’s launch 120 years ago. Drawing on Vogue’s exceptional archive, this book focuses on the work of eight of the magazine’s legendary fashion editors (including Polly Mellen, Babs Simpson, and Grace Coddington) who collaborated with photographers, stylists, and designers to create the images that have had an indelible impact on the fashion world and beyond. Featuring the work of world-renowned photographers such as Richard Avedon, Irving Penn, and Annie Leibovitz and model/muses, including Marilyn Monroe, Verushka, and Linda Evangelista, The Editor’s Eye is a lavishly illustrated look at the visionary editors whose works continue to reverberate in the culture today. (synopsis source)

6. Rookie: Yearbook One by Tavi Gevinson

When I read Tavi's story and learned that she started blogging when she was 11, I thought she was the freaking coolest girl in the world. Coincidentally enough, the same friend gave me a copy of the first Rookie Yearbook for Christmas, so I'm excited to devour that by the end of the school year. I just can't wait. I'll obviously start reading it before, but I'll try to save the bulk of it for then.

Tavi's cool-headed intellect shines in ROOKIE, arguably the most intelligent magazine ever made for a teen-girl audience. She writes with a humble but keen authority on such serious topics as body image, self-esteem, and first encounters with street harassment. ROOKIE YEARBOOK ONE collects articles, interviews, photo editorials, and illustrations. (synopsis source)

Have you read many fashion books? Any you'd recommend? Have you read any of the books I've mentioned here? Leave your comments below!

Thank you so much for reading!
- J

2 comments:

  1. Girl, this is such a great idea! I'm sure everyone could use a bit brushing up on their fashion knowledge; it never hurts after all! ;) I admit that I don't read too many fashion books either, but I would love to start this year. The Chloe book sounds so interesting, so I definitely need to check that out! And YES, The Editor's Eye is absolutely amazing and very inspirational. I didn't read the book yet but I saw the documentary and was completely enthralled by it. I highly suggest checking it out if you haven't yet! :-)

    You've got such a lovely blog Juliana! <3 It's so great to meet another teen fashion blogger on here. You write so well and I am loving the variety of content you have on your blog. Let's keep in touch! ^_^

    ♥ Kelsey
    http://RunawayInLA.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you thought The Editor's Eye was good, even it was the documentary because I'm sure the book would be as well.

      Thank you so much for your kind words. :) It's always so amazing to be able to connect with other teen bloggers and it's pretty cool to share the same ethnicity, as well. Let's definitely keep in touch! :) - Juliana

      Delete