Monday, May 19, 2014

Top 5 Wardrobe Essentials

Untitled | via Tumblr
Image via We Heart It
Hi there! The other day, I got a request from a good friend of mine to do a wardrobe essentials post and I thought why the hell not? We could even make this a regular seasonal thing every year, too.

I was originally going to pick out ten things that I thought were necessary in every girl’s closet, but I wanted to make this as specific as possible, so I narrowed it down to five. I know that there are a lot of these posts out there in the blogosphere and YouTube, but I hope that you’ll be able to find something new in this anyway. So here it goes. Top 5 Wardrobe Essentials: Style Generis Edition.

1. White T-Shirt

Image Credit: StyleCaster
White t-shirts are honestly such a necessity in every girl’s closet. I can’t believe that I didn’t get my hands on one until last year because they have unlocked so many options for me. They can act as blank canvas for you to layer other pieces on or they can act as the standout piece of your outfit.

I know how hard it is to find that perfect white t-shirt, but once you do, I promise, it’s so worth the hunt. Mine are all from Old Navy because they’re inexpensive and they work. Other places you could look are H&M or American Apparel if you have a bit more to spend. I’d suggest you get one (or a couple) plain ones to start and afterwards, you could add some with cool rips, designs or embellishments later on.

2. Oversized Cardigan


I’ve had my fair share of oversized cardigans over the years and I found that they are very, very convenient. You know those days when you just want to snuggle in something but you don’t exactly want to go to, say school, in a hoodie? Well, oversized cardigans work perfectly for those days. They also work really well as light outerwear, an aspect that I’ve been taking advantage of quite a bit with my boxy blue cardigan that is currently doubling as my spring jacket on those days when it’s not raining.

Most stores nowadays have an oversized cardigan, but the trick is to find one that fits you and your style well, not just to pick up one from Forever 21 or something just because it’s convenient. They’re no doubt going to become a staple in your closet, so you want to pick something that goes well with most of the things in your closet.

3. Comfortable Heeled Shoes/Booties

Image Credit: Searching for Sunny Days
Coming from someone as short as I am and who has been cursed with short legs, I could use all the height I can get. Ever since I got my wedge sneakers in the fall, something that adds a good three inches or so, I’ve used worn them so much and feel so confident in them. Even if you have been blessed with a tall frame, everyone could use a good pair of comfortable heeled shoes or booties that you can run around in without worrying about breaking your ankle or something nasty like that.

Remember that with all these wardrobe essentials, you’re probably going to use them a lot, so if you’re planning to get anything on this list, the shoes included, try to pick something that will go with a lot of the things you already have. When you’re going shopping, try to visualise your closet or go through it quickly before you go just so it’s fresh in your mind.



I picked up the five pairs I own in Vietnam and you’d think that I’d only wear them in the summer. Well, if so, you’re wrong. I’ve gotten so much use out of them and have worn them routinely since getting them in the summer. Yes, I wore those lovely things in the winter. They just work really well with everything, especially if they’re patterned because you can just pair it with a simple t-shirt and you have an outfit that looks effortless and was essentially effortless to put together that makes you look put together.

5. Pearl Necklace

Image via We Heart It
Last but not least, a pearl necklace. Just thinking about them makes me think of tea parties and ladies in pastel dresses, but they’re also a very versatile piece of jewellery that every girl should own because it pretty much can go with anything. I even heard that Taylor Swift keeps a strand in her purse so she can just throw one on whenever she felt like it.


These necklaces can add a bit of class to any outfit. If you want to up the girliness of outfit, throw on a pearl necklace. If you want to tone down a crazy one, throw on a pearl necklace. If you want to look like you’re about to go for tea with the Queen, throw on a pearl necklace. ;)


Thank you so much for reading!
- J


2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, love that pants, I had looked everywhere but can't even find one. I have no idea where to buy it.....
    Btw have you ever online-shopping? A few months ago, I just bought some clothes and a pair of boots online and the prices are affordable but the postage just toooo expensive sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Allison! :D As for finding them, I swear all the girls at my school are wearing them now, but you should check out Brandy Melville, Forever 21, H&M and those "mainstream" stores, for lack of a better word because they all seem to be stocking them lately.

      As for online, ASOS has free delivery worldwide, so I'd say you should check it out if you're looking for some affordable shipping prices. :)

      Hopefully that was semi-helpful and thanks for the comment! - J

      Delete