Monday, August 25, 2014

DIY: Carpe Diem Desk Chair


Hi there! A little while ago, I shared with you my new and improved workspace, featuring this snazzy desk chair that I'm really, really proud of. It was originally just a plain black chair with nothing really special, so I spiced it up a bit to make it look a bit better in my room.

It's funny because I'm so happy with this chair and it's probably one of my favourite things right now, but everyone else in my family absolutely hated it and they were actually kind of mad that I'd done something to the chair, aha. Anyway, now let's get into the DIY!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED


  • desk chair
  • gold spray paint (I used Krylon Premium 18 kt. Gold Plate)
  • newspaper
  • garbage bags
  • tape
  • paintbrush
  • (fabric) paint (I just used cheap acrylic paint)



I didn't plan this very well so I didn't have enough newspaper, but either lay some newspaper or a garbage bag underneath the legs of the chair.


Following the instructions on your spray paint can, shake up the can and spray it gold!


Once you're done with the legs, cover the rest of the chair with newspaper or garbage bags and tape it so only the parts you want to spray paint are exposed and spray it.


I completely forgot to take photos of me writing the quote on the back, but pick a quote you like and using a paintbrush and your paint of choice, paint it on the back of the chair. Honestly, I just free-handed this, so I didn't trace any lines with fabric chalk or anything like that because a) I was feeling daredevil-ish and b) I was too lazy to. 

However, if you'd like to be more careful than me (which is a good idea), using a ruler and a pencil, trace some lines to make sure that your quote will be written on evenly so you don't regret it after.

Also, be sure to pick a quote that you'd like to see everyday and a quote that you really believe in or that motivates you. Your workspace is where you'll want to be productive, so you need something that's inspirational to keep that whole productive vibe going when you're at your desk. 


That's pretty much it! I was really happy with how my chair turned out and I really hope that your DIY rendition turns out the same!

What did you think of this DIY? Will you be trying it out? What quote would you put on the back of your chair? Share your thoughts and leave your comments below!


Thank you so much for reading!
- J


2 comments:

  1. Idk if this is my second time commenting or if I just forgot to publish my comment yesterday, but this chair is soooo cool. ;) I didn't even notice the gold legs and arms of the chair, and when I did I was so impressed. I was wondering where you got the gold spray paint which seems to work so well, and if this diy was based on anything in particular, or if you came up with the whole idea yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's your first. :) Thank you so much for your sweet compliments! Just a warning though, if the arms of your chair feel a smitch "rubbery," the paint won't dry that well and it might take a really long time for it to feel completely dry and not tacky to the touch. I also just got my spray paint from Michael's.

      The DIY wasn't based on anything really, my desk chair is the first thing I see in the morning and while I have pretty bad eyesight, I wanted to wake up to something motivational. - J

      Delete