Tuesday, August 26, 2014

How to: Recreate All 10 Outfits in Taylor Swift's "Shake it Off"

taylor swift shake it off music video outfit recreations

Hi there! I'm sure all you know by now that I'm a ginormous Taylor Swift fan, so naturally, I was sitting in front of my laptop screen like all the other Swifties around the world on Monday watching her livestream where she released the lead single to her latest album 1989 called "Shake it Off." Surprisingly enough, she also released the music video as well which has been wildly discussed and dissected online which you can watch right below if you haven't already.


I figured that since she had on a total of about ten outfits in the video, it'd be fun to recreate all the outfits, but of course, a bit more toned down so it might be a bit more wearable, especially with back to school just around the corner.




The first outfit is a dancer off-duty outfit consisting of a cropped sweater and high-waisted shorts with a delicate lace applique to balance out the harshness of the black denim. To add to the sweet look, I added a pearl headband, some stackable gold bracelets, and a nude variation of ballet flats since Taylor's doing some ballet dancing in this part of the video right at the beginning.

1. H&M Cropped Feline Sweater
2. Charlotte Russe Chain Bracelets
3. ASOS Faux Pearl Headband
4. Chicnova Black Shorts with Lace
5. ModCloth Nude Ballet Flats

24 Times Taylor Swift Was The Cutest Thing Ever In Her New "Shake It Off" Video

With a bit more of an edgy musical influence in this part, I opted for a similar bomber jacket to the one she was wearing. I'd wear it unzipped a bit to about three inches below your collarbone so it exposes the black cami underneath. Since it's not super duper cold yet, I picked out some black shorts to go with it and platform sandals to elongate your legs. To finish it off, I picked some square-ish framed eyeglasses and a simple silver necklace.

1. Topshop Floral Jacquard Bomber Jacket
2. Forever 21 Black Cami
3. Etsy Vintage Levi's Shorts
4. Nasty Gal Spitfire Rockabilly Glasses
5. New Look Tessy Platform Heeled Sandals
6. ASOS Multi-Row Chain Necklace

Taylor Swift, "Shake It Off"

I'm pretty sure Taylor's going for a more hip hop vibe for this look, so I chose a graphic tee paired with some leather pants, and a deep burgundy varsity jacket rendering the outfit very fall-appropriate. To complete the hip hop-inspired transformation, I added a sports hat with a really cool elephant on it and some striped sneakers.

This outfit especially would be great for school, specifically on those chillier days when you don't want something super bulky, but would still like something to layer over top of an outfit you'd wear in warmer temperatures.

1. Gap Logo Varsity Jacket
2. Abercrombie Clara Tee
3. Fanatics New Era Oakland Black Hat
4. Boohoo Matte Black Leather Leggings
5. YesStyle Patent Striped Sneakers

24 Times Taylor Swift Was The Cutest Thing Ever In Her New "Shake It Off" Video


I found this outfit pretty hard to tone down, but I managed to do it with a sequined skirt that is dressed down with a lightweight knit lilac sweater, a simple pendant necklace, and nude ballet flats that don't draw too much attention away from the main focus of the outfit which is the skirt. To finish it off, I added a light blush-coloured crossbody since this isn't exactly something that's school appropriate.

1. Leslyn Lost + Found Pendant Necklace
2. Weekday Hatch Knit Sweater
3. Urban Outfitters Triple-Zip Chain Strap Crossbody
4. Circus by Sam Edelman Nude Flats
5. House of Fraser Sequin Skirt

Taylor Swift, "Shake It Off"


I searched high and low for a sequined hoodie that wasn't meant for twelve year old girls, so I went for a sequinned t-shirt instead paired with some distressed denim and gold chains to mimic Taylor's crazy and totally out of character ensemble, but on a much more wearable level, so you can wear it to school if it's a special day or out with your friends.

1. Warehouse Sequin Marl Tee
2. 14th & Union Chain Necklace
3. Converse Chuck Taylor Platforms
4. Humble Chic Chain Link Bracelet
5. Etsy Denim Cutoff Shorts
6. ASOS Gold Boyfriend Watch

Taylor Swift, "Shake It Off"


My friends have expressed to me multiple times how freaky they think this outfit looks, and the more I look at the Lady Gaga-inspired outfit, the more it freaks me out just a bit. I obviously didn't pick something so crazy, so I opted for gold disco pants, gold sneakers that look pretty darn close to the ones she's wearing in the video, and a white graphic tee that tones the outfit down considerably and matches the sole of the shoes, but still with a gold graphic. Again, to tone it down further, I added a black crossbody with gold studs and a black leather bracelets with some gold chains and charms.

1. Vero Moda Printed Shirt
2. AX Paris Gold Wet Look Disco Pants
3. Charlotte Russe Studded Envelope bag
4. Steve Madden Gail Sneaker
5. Free People Braided Wrap Bracelets

24 Times Taylor Swift Was The Cutest Thing Ever In Her New "Shake It Off" Video


For this cheerleader-inspired look, I went for a beautiful blue skater skirt and a cut out crop top to resemble the cheerleader uniform without going overboard. For a little interest, I added a bright yellow statement necklace and some yellow bracelets, also to match the colours of the uniform in the video. To finish it all off, I added some white Keds to add to the playful and sporty vibe.

1. H&M Cut Out Crop Top
2. Max and Chloe Statement Necklace
3. Keds White Double Up Sneakers
4. New Look Blue Skater Skirt
5. Pieces Beaded Wrap Bracelets




And now, the Gap Body look. Ironically enough, I didn't pick anything from Gap, but I did pick out some really amazing paperbag waist shorts with a marl grey shirt tucked in. To avoid having too much grey, I added some pearl earrings, a silver dog tag necklace, a leather watch, and some checked boots to make the look a bit more rugged.

1. H&M Marl T-shirt
2. Urban Outfitters Dog Tag Pendant Necklace
3. ASOS REVOLUTION Checked Ankle Boots
4. Go Jane Double Faux Pearl Earrings
5. YesStyle Paperbag-Waist Shorts
6. American Apparel Heart Leather Watch

24 Times Taylor Swift Was The Cutest Thing Ever In Her New "Shake It Off" Video


This outfit would've been a bit too simple in my opinion to recreate as it's not that difficult to slap together a black shirt and pants, so I picked some things with a bit more texture. This, again, is a more fall-appropriate look as well with a button-down peplum top and velvet leggings. Then I added some dark blue velvet booties which are a smitch expensive, I'm not going to lie, but they were just too perfect that I couldn't pass up the opportunity to include them. For accessories, I picked out a silver watch with a blue face and a teeny tiny silver necklace that adds just enough light to the outfit.

1. Topshop Button Up Peplum Top
2. John Lewis Velvet Leggings
3. ModCloth Dark Blue Velvet Boots
4. American Apparel Orient Silver and Blue Watch
5. Forever 21 Round Pendant Necklace

24 Times Taylor Swift Was The Cutest Thing Ever In Her New "Shake It Off" Video

Finally, a full on swan-like ballet ensemble. I picked out an embellished collar shirt to kind of look like the top of Taylor's dress and a poofy tutu skirt for the bottom half. I then added a silver headband and chain bracelet for a bit of sparkle and beautifully delicate and pristine pink satin ballet flats that add just enough colour to the outfit.

This GIF was probably of my favourite part of the video because I just love how she's jumping between their legs and just having some fun which is what this video is all about.

1. Miss Selfridge Embellished Collar Shirt
2. Forever 21 Chain Link Bracelet
3. JCPenney Vine Headband
4. ModCloth Pink Ballet Flats
5. Chicwish Fairy Tulle Skirt

Which outfit was your favourite? Did you like the video? What are your thoughts on the song? Leave your comments and share your thoughts below, and I really hope that you enjoyed this super long post!


Thank you so much for reading!
- J


All photos/GIFs, and videos belong to Taylor Swift and Big Machine Records.

6 comments:

  1. I love this! I'm not that big of a Taylor Swift fan but this song and video are so cute. I love how you made the looks less "costumy" and turned it into something you could wear to class or out with friends, etc. without looking like you're going to a audition (lol). They're all dead on too. Now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That was what I intended to do with this post and I'm glad it came across! - J

      Delete
  2. You did a great job here of translating those outfits to something more wearable. That's definitely a talent you have there. Hope you keep going with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet compliments! <3 - J

      Delete
  3. Thumbs up for the effort you have put into restyling all of Taylor's looks into practical outfits without breaking the original pattern !!! Do you know the brand of glasses she wear in the second look (one with the bomber jacket) ?

    ReplyDelete